3.08.2007

Age and Children

You know, I’m a little tired of people telling me I’m a ‘young dad’. Maybe I’m not too young; maybe you’re just too close minded.

“Wait until you can afford to have a baby” Do I have a large income? Not really. Do I have a hard time providing for my family? Sometimes. Does my son know the difference? No.

Do I regret it? Not. Once.

Is it worth the pain, hardships, stress, lack of sleep, interrupted personal time, middle of the night crying? Without a doubt.

Paul tells Timothy "do not let other look down on you because of your age" maybe he should have included 'do not look down on others because they are young'.

The world is a different place with a child, the colors all change. It's more vibrant and electric. The most mundane things are exciting again. The first time we took him to the Zoo was a complete riot. The first time he played in the snow was better than college. It's almost like Joy incarnate moved into my home, and he won't leave me alone.

I love my family. Jessica and Timothy are constantly reminding me that the world is a much larger place than my own bubble, and there is love and joy and goodness, despite all the politics and injustice.

I end with this from Plasm 127
Sons are a heritage from the Lord,
Children a reward from him
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in ones youth
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

No comments: