3.10.2007

The Future



I've been a little unsure of the future lately. Not the distant, science fiction, fighting with Klingons Future but the immediate future. What's my direction? Where am I going? Why am I doing what I'm doing?

I think the thing I need to hear is that I'm not supposed to be sure of my future. Jesus talked about a man who built a great storehouse to store up all his earthly possessions. Then he dies. Great story.

First of all, is the storehouse representative of something? Jesus almost never mentions buildings or structures.

Secondly, It's not a promise, it's a possibility. (Sing with me now!) My first reaction is a legalistic one; "how much can I store up before you strike me down?", "How slowly can I build it up?" I've often struggle with the idea that some things in the bible are cultural, or no longer for us, because someone human has drawn that line, Jesus says in Revelation "Let no man add or take away from these words of mine" (or something to that effect). Is my deciding what's cultural taking something away? I'm always asking these legalistic questions because I want Black and white lines of what I can and can't do. It's almost like I want rules. What a sad rebel am I?

I am of the belief that Jesus spoke in parables because they aren't black and white. Much of the Pentateuch is black and white. "No garments made of 2 different fabrics" and "Honor the Sabbath by keeping it Holy" and more of the same. Christ says he came not to abolish that law but to fulfill it. So when the law is fulfilled it gets more vague? I don't get it.

It really all boils down to this: Jesus wants me to follow Him with my heart, not with my rulebook. I think that's why the command in Deuteronomy 6 is repeated so many times.

"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates."

The point is that my natural reactions to stimuli are supposed to be Holy reactions. When the other car cuts me off in traffic I'm supposed to react in love, not anger. When I'm on the phone with customer service I'm not supposed to insult their mother. Dang.

So the question I ask myself (because I like hard questions) is this: "What didn't I write on my heart?"

Probably this...

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" - Matthew 6:26.

Peace

No comments: