3.12.2007

Matthew 11:28-30

I had a bit of a revelation yesterday during the sermon. Pastor Greg was preaching on this classic passage.

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Sometime durring 2nd service I realized something. Jesus says 'my yoke is easy and my burden is light.' In other words, if a teaching is weighing you down, it's not from Jesus. That's not to say that Jesus never preached heavy or hard messages because he certainly does. Jesus Teachings always move towards freedom and redemption, never guilt or judgment. That's not to say that Jesus teachings never lead us through those things, but that isn't the destination he intends for us.

I realized that I have let theology weigh me down. I'd blame in on my Bible College professors, but I'm the one who let them put their Yoke upon me. I'd blame it on my Sunday school teachers, but they only ever had the best intentions.

I'll blame it on myself. I get too easily stressed at disagreement and far too frustrated at dissension. I get angry when the bible doesn't make sense in my context, why don't I get frustrated at my context?

I get weighed down by lots and lots of little things. the problem with that is you can't run with weight on your back. "Run in such a way as to get the prize." You can't run with weight on your back.

So anyway, I got angry with myself. Frustrated that I let these things slow me down. Then my sister, Nancy, was talking about a retreat she went to the day before and in the middle of her soliloquy, she made this statement "learning to forgive yourself for making mistakes." Dang!

And in the middle of wrestling with this (revolutionary simple) new idea, I was reminded again of Jesus words from Matthew 11 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

'God give me peace and rest from my burdens.'

Peace

No comments: