3.08.2007

Album Notes - Rush "Moving Pictures"


I recently picked this album up at the local used CD Store. I highly recommend it. Especially for $6.99 plus tax. 7 Tracks, 3 of which are absolutely killer the other 4 are really good too. No wasted space.



The thing that strikes me the most are the topics of the songs.
'Tom Sawyer' puts the story of Tom Sawyer in a modern context where he doesn't sway one way politically, he stands for what he believes.
'Red Barchetta' is about learning to drive with the singers uncle and then relaxing in front of the fire and trading stories.
'Limelight' is about how being famous and in front of people all the time isn't all it's cracked up to be.

What happened to our society that we went from this innocent, good intentioned lyrics found here to 'Who let the dogs out?' and 'My Humps' ?

And let's not forget that this is Rock and Roll, this is post KISS, so they could have just as easily sang about anything they wanted and instead they tell stories, good stories in fact.

Makes me think about the songs I write. Not that I write anything like 'My Humps', on the contrary I like to think that Jesus wouldn't be embarrassed to listen to my stuff. It does encourage me that there are people in the world who do listen to music that is well written and not commercialized.

Anyways...

Peace

"All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players:
Performers and portrayers,
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage."

No comments: