4.16.2007

In Praise of Timless Art.

Jessica and I saw “the Rat Pack; live at the Sands” on Saturday. I was blown away. These three guys do some really, really believable performances. I could almost swear to you that I really saw Frank, Sammy, and Dean. Laughing, joking, dancing, singing. It was great.

One of my very favorite films is “Guys and Dolls”. So when ‘Frank’ opens the show with ‘Luck be a Lady’ I was hooked.

I even cried twice. Both times when ‘Sammy’ was performing. The first time during ‘Mr. Bojangles’ and then again during ‘What kind of fool am I?’

One of the things that struck me about each and every song, was just how timeless they were. I mean the arrangements placed them securely in the big band era, but the songs themselves. Take a look at the lyric for “What Kind of Fool am I?”

What kind of fool am I, who never falls in love?
It seems that I'm the only one that I’ve been thinking of.
What kind of man is this? An empty shell, a lonely cell
in which this empty heart must dwell?

What kind of lips are these that lie with every kiss?
That whispers empty words of love
And left me alone like this?

Why can't I fall in love
like any other man?
And maybe then I'll know what kind of fool I am.


People don’t talk like that anymore.

Yesterday Jessica and I lead worship at First Baptist Church of Muskegon. (loads of fun) One of the songs we sang that resonated the most was Jesus Paid it all.

I hear the Savior say, “Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness, watch and pray, Find in Me thine all in all.”

Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

Lord, now indeed I find Thy power and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots And melt the heart of stone.

For nothing good have I Whereby Thy grace to claim,
I’ll wash my garments white In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.

And when before the throne I stand in Him complete,
I’ll lay my trophies down All down at Jesus’ feet.

“For nothing Good have I, whereby Thy grace to claim, I’ll wash my garments white, in the blood of Calvary’s Lamb.” People don’t talk like that anymore.

There’s a quote that keeps running through my head, although I’m not sure where it’s from. “Be timeless, and when everything else has passed away, when the fads have run their course, You’ll still be waiting.”

Peace

No comments: