8.06.2007

Why I Sing

I've been reading John Piper's 'the Pleasures of God' when I stumbled onto the following.

"...that we might see some of the infinite measure of His worth and excelency, and, in seeing this glory, be transformed to the likeness of His Son; and give ourselves so passionately to the work of mercy and missions, that all the nations will see and give glory to our Father in heaven" (the Pleasures of God, pg 47)

He uses this statement to explain why he writes, why he preaches. I'm stealing it to describe why I sing, why I play guitar, why I lead worship.

I believe that if my actions do not have a greater purpose they are wasted. Solomon labeled everything he did as 'a chasing after the wind.' Solomon was living for his own glory, however. You don't take 900 wives for the Glory of God.
You can, however, do simple and mundane things for God's glory. At my current job I clean carpets for the glory of God. Sometimes I just try to do the best I can, and offer that for God's glory. Other times I get the chance to give someone (who can't afford) what they need, often without them knowing. I really enjoy that.

My wife raises our son for the glory of God. My mother cuts fabric at Jo-Annes for the Glory of God.

One of things that sets singing apart from other things we do on a weekly basis is that it's a deeper form of comunication. It comes from a deeper part of my being. So when I sing truths, whatever they may be, they travel through a deeper part of my heart before they leave my lungs. If I say the words "Lord I give you my heart, I give you my soul, I live for you alone" I can say them anyway I like and they may never provoke a change in my heart. But when I sing them, they conect in a way that the spoken word cannot.

To view his worth and excellency, His Glory.
To be transformed into the likeness of Christ.
To passionately pursue mercy and missions.
To see the nations give glory to our Father in Heaven.

Could there be a better reason to sing?

Peace

1 comment:

Jerry DePoy Jr. said...

John Piper is the man.