5.08.2008

Economic Stimulus

I got angry the other day. Really angry.

I paid $3.75 for a gallon of gas.

$3.75

That's like 4 cheese burgers.

How many clean water wells could we dig in the furthest reaches of Uganda for $3.75 a gallon?

How many abused women could we rescue in our home towns for $3.75 a gallon?

Makes me think of this verse. "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." -James 4:17

I don't feel convicted by this verse. I can't do anything about our extremely inflated gas prices. I feel sad for those who could though. A dollar drop in our gas prices would change our economy, huge. That would be real economic stimulus. By simply not padding their pockets so heavily they allow a ton of people to get out of debt, to buy that new _____, and to help others as they would like to. I would love to sponsor a child through Compassion International. I used to, in fact, but things have been too tight for me to afford new guitar strings, let alone feed someone half a world away.

No comments: