5.07.2008

Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura


Disclaimer: Andrew and Charlie are likely the only people to care about this post. I'm Okay with that.

I'm listening to Sola Scriptura right now.

It's good. It's really good.

It's a bit heavier than both One and Testimony. I haven't heard One in quite a while, but I remember it being a fair bit lighter, more melodic than this. This isn't overly heavy, just heavier and darker than Morse's work tends to be.

But the music fits really well with the lyrics. Better than most progressive music, truth be told. Prog often feels pieced together, which it is, so that's not a bad things, it's just not the best. Sola Scriptura only suffers from Jigsaw syndrome a little. It's much more fluid than, say Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence or Snow.

He's followed the 'Bridge Across Forever' pattern here.

1. Long Song
2. Long Song
3. Pop Song
4. Long Song

It's fits well. There's typically 4 parts to any story; Setting, Conflict, Climax and Conclusion, he's just using that to his advantage.

My one complaint isn't really a complaint, but more of an observation.

There isn't really anything that surprised me. In fact, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect, based purely on his other albums and on the subject matter. That's not a bad thing, I would just hate to see him fall into a rut. I would like to see him write with someone other than Messers Randy George and Mike Portnoy. Not to knock the music these 3 create, but to bring something else to the table. I would hate to see Neal's career get stagnant. I see how great One is, or Sola Scriptura and I ask 'How do you top this next time?'

So, I like it, I do. I would love to see Mr. Morse take a different direction in the future. Maybe just writting something that's not a concept album would do the trick. I doubt he'll put out anything subpar, I just see him being capable of so much that I can't settle for more of the same.

No comments: