8.21.2008

A Letter to Mike Guglielmucci

Dear Mike,

I want you to know that your song is still really good. It hasn't changed. I still listen to Come Together even though the Beatles broke up. I'm still reformed (as opposed to Catholic) even though I disagree with Martin Luther about his anti-semitism.

Paul speaks of a thorn in his flesh, he doesn't say what it is, just that he repeatedly prayed that God would remove it, but God said no.

Mine is Cynicism. It is so easy for me to fall into a rut, and then just be angry about everything. I find it easy to see people in a negative light. Almost like when someone comes into view, and I mentally write their flaws on their foreheads.

I hate it. I don't like that I have to force myself to see the best in people. This of course, makes me frustrated with myself and only perpetuates the cycle.

But God is graceful, and merciful more than he ought to be.

I am a broken man who longs for love, and when I don't find it I get frustrated, and of course, cynical. I often want to seclude myself away from everyone, so I can console myself, "They just don't understand."

I am a fallen man, who longs for Home. My Father's Home, where there are many, many rooms. Where the Lion lies with the Lamb, and the stream of life leads me to God's throne. Where no one retains any flaws for me to focus on.

I see in you a man who longs for love and longs for a better place. I pray that you would hear the words you wrote.

I believe You’re my Healer
I believe You are all I need
I believe You’re my Portion
I believe You’re more than enough for me
Jesus You’re all I need

There's hope for us, Mike. There's Jesus, who is all that you need. He loves us regardless of the sins we've committed. There's a place that he has prepared for us, long before we were born.

Hope.

1 comment:

Jessica Lynn said...

Wow, you went in a completely different direction than you were when I was peeking over your shoulder while you were writing it earlier (I hope you don't mind my saying that). This is much more grace-filled, and forgiving.

And to Mr. Guglielmucci...I'm sorry you felt you needed to lie, but I forgive you.