11.03.2009

whose shoulder?

I was listening to a sermon from NewSpring church while I was working out the other day. (yes I listen to sermons while I work out. If I listen to music I often feel my brain going numb.) Perry posed a question at the end of this sermon "Who do you admire most? Why?"
I've been mulling this question over in my head and heart since he 'said' it. Who do I admire most? I skipped the obvious; parents, grandparents, etc. I also left out Ghandi, MLK, Mother Theresea etc. I'm left with a short list of 3 people that I admire most. (In no particular order)

1. Nathan Johnson. He's the grounds and maintenance director at Grace Bible College. I worked for him there for several years. I watched him fight a constant battle with the administration concerning budgets and what needs to get done. In all of that I never heard him say a negative thing. Not. Once.

It wasn't a blind optimism, but rather a deeply seated faith in Christ and an anticipation of hope. That's the kind of man I want to be.

2. Russ Carlson. Teaching Pastor at Forest Park Church in Muskegon. I worked with him directly as an interim Worship Leader for 6 months and attended for another year when that ended. He is an incredibly wise and discerning man. In one of the first conversations I had with him after I came on staff he told me flat out "You shouldn't give us your resume' for the full time position. You're not the guy we're looking for." He then spent the rest of our time building me up and helping me become that guy.

He's the guy from proverbs who looks at all sides of an issue or an idea and carefully weighs the options. That's the kind of man I want to be.

3. Greg VanDermeer. Teaching Pastor at Fellowship Muskegon. I've known him since I was in High School and he was the new Pastor at church. I also had the chance to work with him on 2 occasions as interim worship leader at Fellowship. Greg is possibly the most passionate person I know. God lit a fire in his belly and Greg refuses to let it go out or grow dim. More than once we were unable to see each others point of view, but Greg had the faith to simply stop and pray because he knew that would lead us to the answer.

He doesn't believe, his belief consumes him. That's the kind of man I want to be.

Well, what about you? Who do you admire most and why?