3.18.2010

A New Way

I bought a new CD the other day. It was an actual disc that I had to open. Most of my new music in the last year has been in the form of a digital download. It is faster and more efficient. Sometimes it’s even cheaper.

I forgot how much I missed actual CD’s. I used to come home from the music store with my new music and carefully remove the plastic. I was really particular, because I didn’t want any of the sticky goop left behind on the CD case. Then I would put the disc in the player and sit and listen. I would go through the liner notes looking for anything that would give me insight into the work. I would just sit and drink it in.

But now, I download it from the internet and then load it onto my phone. Then I try to listen to it over the sound of the sink while doing the dishes; or over the sound of the lawnmower while I’m mowing. Sometimes I’ll just listen to it on my way to work, but it’s only a 12 minute drive and takes like 3 days to hear an entire album. It’s really hard to appreciate the album as a whole that way.

I tried to just sit and listen to an album the other day, but my kids were home and pretty soon my album listening turned into a dance party, turned into rough-housing, turned into train-track building, turned into Daddy not listening to his music. Sorry Mr. Osenga.

I tried again in the morning, while they are less energetic and still kind of waking up, thinking I would have a better chance at success. This time I felt guilty about all the things that I should be doing, so that turned into cleaning up the dishes, turned into taking out the trash, turned into getting the kids ready and suddenly I’m leaving for work.

It’s interesting how having kids completely changes everything. Something as simple as stopping to listening to new music is now incredibly complex and requires planning. But I wouldn’t trade any of it, so I’ll just have to find a new way to do them both.

So one of these days, I’m going to get everything done (ha!) and then I’m going to put the kids to bed early (ha!) and then I’m going to pop some popcorn, light some candles and listen to The Joshua Tree. I’ll have to listen to it quietly because the kids will be sleeping, but that’ll have to do for now.

No comments: