8.28.2010

My Worship Philosophy

Why I worship and why it’s important

I’m a lead worshiper; a son of God who leads others to see and express their own son or daughter-ship. God is the artist and the subject; I’m a voice and a vessel for expressing the Gospel.

One of my favorite passages in the Old Testament is found in Deuteronomy 6. “Hear O Israel, the Lord Your God; the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul and all your strength.” This begins as a simple statement with profound importance. “The Lord your God, the Lord is one” Beneath all other realities and understandings is the immovable fact that God is. Everything else in existence stands on this one foundation. It is the fabric that everything else is woven from. This simple declaration is followed with a short list of instructions; “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul and all your strength” If God is the foundation of everything, if I exist because he does, He deserves not just a simple thank you but a life lived in gratitude.

A life lived in gratitude is a life lived in worship.


My Dream for Worship

We often hear the word ‘worship’ used to refer to our Sunday morning gatherings. “How did worship go today?” is a question I hear often from friends and piers. I question that use of the word.

Romans 12 clearly points to our sacrificial lives as worship. A daily surrendering of our lives to seek God’s will. The primary distinction of Sunday mornings is that we do it together, rather than alone. So I prefer to use the term Gathering or if I have to, Worship Gathering.

I dream of a weekly gathering where I can feel at home, where I wouldn’t be embarrassed to invite my friends, and where I would be challenged by clear, biblical teaching.

My vision of worship is simple; it’s everything we do, when we choose to follow God’s will and not our own. Like the Sacrifice in Romans 12, when we get up off the altar, though we’ve already given our lives away. Everything we do becomes an act of worship.

But sometimes those images get cloudy and the cross seems far away. Sometimes the other voices in our lives speak too loud to hear the still small whisper of the Holy Spirit.

In the context of a Worship Gathering, worshiping through music serves to lower our defenses, to bring us nearer the cross. It serves to stop us in our tracks so we can hear the Holy Spirit whisper into our hearts.

I want to leave every week with a broken heart so I can see myself for who I am and so I can see who He wants me to be. The gathering isn’t just about good music and strong teaching; it’s a reminder that everything we do is sacred, that there’s true life in the mundane and that Christ is at work everywhere.

No comments: